Essential Types Of SEO Citations and Their Benefits
The use of citations is vital to your business’s local SEO strategy. Indeed, the mere mention of your business name, address, and phone number can help improve your business’s rankings. Remember, the higher a business ranks on a local search engine results page or SERP means greater visibility and improved credibility. It translates to more chances of connecting with consumers who are more at ease in transacting with your business.
However, it’s best to emphasize the value of creating quality citations. Hence, it’s not enough to have more citations. Keep in mind, it’s more important for your business to have quality citations. Moreover, those posted on authoritative sites. You should also consider using the different types of SEO citations. Doing so allows you to leverage the power of citations to improve your ranking.
Basic Types of SEO Citations
In general, SEO citations are classified as structured and unstructured. Both types perform the same function, that is, to make sure your business is mentioned on the World Wide Web. However, the way each does it is different.
Pointers about Structured Citations
- A structured citation is commonly listed on business directory sites like Yelp.com, Superpages.com, and Yellowpages.com
- The basic format of a structured citation indicates the business name, its address, and contact number. It would also provide a small description of the nature of the business.
- In some cases, more information is given in a citation such as a business’s operating hours, a website link and social profiles, if applicable. It can even indicate the business’s preferred payment methods.
- You should remember three things when it comes to structured citations: claim, fill out and optimize.
- Optimization is necessary to ensure the information is uniform throughout all citations related to business.
Pointers about Unstructured Citations
An unstructured citation as the name suggests is less rigid in format. Thus, it may or may not provide the basic NAP (business name, address, and phone number) information. Consumers come across unstructured citations on various websites including blogs. Hence, a business might not have a lot of control over the content of an unstructured citation.
Even so, using this type of citation bodes numerous opportunities for business since consumers don’t limit their search for information within business directories. It’s even possible to obtain it by way of reaching out to specific bloggers within your business’s niche. Thus, improving your visibility to an even wider audience online.
It’s also in your best interest to inject relevant keywords with whichever type of SEO citation you use. In doing so, you’re linking your brand directly to specific keywords your consumers will identify it with.
Going Beyond the Basics
You’ll soon find out there’s more than one way to make the most of the citations for your local SEO campaign. In fact, your business can benefit from building those catering to specific platforms.
Niche citations leave no one out
Let’s admit it; various directories don’t get to highlight all types of businesses. Hence, the significance of niche citations.
- Niche citations are industry specific
- It focuses on sites with a direct relation to the nature of a particular business
- Less competitive companies stand to benefit the most from using this type of citation
- Examples of these businesses are those offering legal services, home improvements like plumbing and electrical work, as well as health and medical services
- However, you should be aware that some niche listings require payment. So, it’s a good idea to consider if you can afford it, moreover, if it’s worth paying for. Then again, you also need to know niche listings for a particular search term can earn you good rankings with Google. The choice is up to you.
Geo-specific and Media-rich citations do better for less
In the case of citations, having more of it online isn’t always best. At times it can backfire on you. It can happen if you have bad citations. Remember, having even just one or two bad citations can hurt your credibility. How? Well, it could cause a ripple effect when a consumer is unhappy with the results of a particular search.
If the customer posts something about it and tags it, then others would see it and possibly comment on it. Remember, it can happen to anyone. Moreover, it can happen to your business. Instead of quantity, it’s in your best interest to go for quality. You can do this by way of geo-specific and media-rich citations.
Geo-specific citations for where your business operates
Use this type of citation to confirm where your business is located. It’s a great way to engage customers who reside within your store’s neighbourhood.
- Remember to check local directories within your area, in particular, the chamber of commerce as well as networking groups.
- Sign up with a business listing specific to your neighbourhood.
- It’s also a good idea to reach out to local businesses. Perhaps you could get them to talk about you on their website. Moreover, introduce you as one of the dependable businesses in the area.
- Be creative and write a press release about your business then publish it on a newswire service in your location.
Media-rich citations are awesome
Media-rich citations offer the opportunity to add your NAP to photos and videos uploaded online. Moreover, include your particular longitude and latitude details for geo-tagging. This type of citation is amazing and here’s why.
- You get to geo-tag all of your images from your website as well as your Google business page.
- It increases your trustworthiness and in turn, boosts your rankings with Google.
- You won’t be guilty of SPAMMING for putting keywords into your listing.
- Remember to index your geo-tagged images. Afterward, build links to it.
- When making a video, be sure to add your NAP at the end of your description for it then be sure to build links to the video afterwards.
Citations are integral to your local SEO strategy. Hence, understanding how to use it and the different types available to you will be advantageous to your business. In doing so, you’ll be able to create better quality citations. Moreover, you can mix and match citation types to reap the benefits of what each has to offer.